WOW! Winter, you waited for a while but when you decided to show up….you REALLY showed up! Pretty good snow storm on Thursday and then -24 this weekend! It’s going to be around for the week so hopefully you’ve planned ahead. Here’s what the National Safety Council recommends.
Car Emergency Kit List
In an emergency situation, in addition to a full tank of gas and fresh antifreeze, the National Safety Council recommends having these with you at all times:
- Blankets, mittens, socks and hats
- Ice scraper and snow brush
- Flashlight, plus extra batteries (or a hand-crank flashlight)
- Jumper cables
- First-aid kit (band-aides, adhesive tape, antiseptic wipes, gauze pads, antiseptic cream, medical wrap). See a first-aid kit checklist.
- Bottled water
- Multi-tool (such as a Leatherman multi-tool or a Swiss Army knife)
- Road flares or reflective warning triangles
- Windshield cleaner
For Very Cold temperatures ad the following if possible:
For those in wintry snowy areas, add the below items to your emergency kit. (If it’s balmy all winter where you live, be thankful that you don’t need all of this stuff!)
- A bag of sand to help with traction (or bag of non-clumping cat litter)
- Collapsible or folding snow shovel
- Tire chains and tow strap
- Hand warmers
- Winter boots for longer trips
- Sleeping bag for longer trips
So will we all put these things in our car and be good boys and girls? Hell no. But this at least gives you a good idea what to do to be prepared just in case you run in to bad luck on the road in the cold winter. STAY SAFE, STAY WARM…..and of course….STAY TUNED to ROCK 105.3 WRLO. I will help keep you warm.